My little family

My little family
This is me and my 3 kids in banff its our favorite place to go!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Fun and Refreshing

Today was such an interesting day. Here are the highlights:

Today I recieved an amazing gift from my Aunt, whom I don't hear from much - ok, like ever, but it meant the world to me, because it came at a time that I really desperately needed it. I don't think she would know that I was in that situation to need it, but Heavenly Father put us together, in answer to my prayers, and she so amazingly helped me with her random kind deed. I just want to mention that this NEVER happens usually so it was not only shocking, but an amazing blessing, and I know the Lord had his hand in on it. I have no idea how she felt so inspired, I just know that I am so grateful.

Today I realized golf is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Plus, women are at a serious disadvantage - that is why there is a woman's box to tee off from, not because we're not as strong or as good at it, but because we have a disadvantage. (but that is a whole other story) For those of you who don't golf ~ like me, when teeing off there is a pro box, a difficult box, a regular box and an easy box, and even easier than that is "women's box" for teeing off. Sounds sexist I know. PS. the boxes are actually just color coded but I forget the colors already!)  No, I did not go golfing today, but I did get some lessons and had a lot of fun trying to whack a few balls around. I think I just may practice hittin a few more one of these days. Who knew?

Today I was confirmed in my thought that I suck under pressure. Oh, and I always feel  under "pressure" when I shouldn't. I'm sure you're sitting there wondering, what are you talking about? Ok, well I played pool with my boss today, (if you're wondering why it's because I borrowed his dog, explanation to come later, lol) and I shot like total crap - of course. Why I even mentioned that I used to play league and get hooked into playing in the first place, I don't know. Maybe for my own embarrassment? I shouldn't have felt pressured it was just for fun, and he's such a cool guy, really easy going. Its me, and my fear of embarrassment. Always worried about what others are going to think. Which is hilarious since it causes me to play worse and really embarrass myself! That's why I drank when I played pool league, to loosen my nerves. Ha. Anyways, First two games I couldn't sink a ball to save my life almost, third game I finally started coming around, but still fairly embarrassing. Here's a tip my friends - don't mention skills you think you have (like "yes, I play pool, I used to play league") unless your confident you STILL have these skills. lol. But, in the end it was still fun, I still love the game, and enjoyed myself, and I think that is important. (I think I still have mad skills, I just need some practise without my boss around, and I'll kick some butt again!) 

Today I dropped in on a friend I hadn't seen in a while who had recently had her baby, and is very busy right now. It was so good to catch up with her, and just share how our lives (which are in such very different places right now) are going through some very similar experiences. It amazes me how 30 minutes visiting and sharing testimonies with each other can give me strength and encouragement. She is such an amazing woman, I hope she knows it. I hope everyone that reads this thinks of someone in there life who they can spend 30 minutes visiting with, relating to, listening and talking to them. It can really make a difference, in both your lives. (I'm not speaking for my friend, but I know for me, I really needed a visit today and a friendly chat ~ it was perfect!)

Today was a great day, admittedly the kids and I also:

-borrowed a dog
-went to two parks
-watched a movie
-did family chores BIG TIME!
-stayed up late
-hauled ALL the donation stuff and Garbage away!
-walked the dog
-the kids swam in a Jacuzzi tub with their clothes on
-Took a nap (to reduce the migraine I had it was at a 7 by the evening. )

I loved my evening with my children, watching a movie and then tackling the house as a team. We all worked very hard to get things back in order around here. When my migraines get as bad as they have been the house work can fall behind for days. Then I just can't stand it anymore, and so today I called on the kids and used a sneaky trick, I let them stay up late ~ but they had to be cleaning! Ha! Worked like a charm. They cleaned their little hearts out, didn't complain once, and the house is getting to where it needs to be again. I know I can't always use that trick, but today I just really didn't want another battle. My house may not be where it needs to be yet, but its coming along, and I feel much better now that its started, especially with all the clutter of the donation stuff and garbage (that was in boxes) sitting around the house for the last 2 weeks.

 I really enjoyed my Saturday.

It was Fun and Refreshing!

Somehow in all my enjoyment, I managed to promise the children that after church today we would go for a picnic and take the dog for a walk around Henderson lake. I thought we could bring our book of pictures from the scriptures and discuss which stories they represent, and look them up. I was also hoping to be able to take out some golf clubs and show River some of the stuff I learned since he has such a love for golf. He even has his own clubs.  We also have to give Bueller a bath (thats the dog). So it sounds like another busy day for us, I really hope we can manage to do it all, because it will be fun and our family needs some good quality time.

1 comment:

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

just so you know, I loved seeing you too. I loved your idea to have the kids stay up later and help clean! Treat for them, and help for you. Genius!
p.s. golf is hard. period! good for you for trying!