My little family

My little family
This is me and my 3 kids in banff its our favorite place to go!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Berlyn's Big Day!

Ok, So yesterday was Berlyn's Birthday! I apologize now, but I will post pics later. She turned 5 years old! I am just so amazed at how fast my little girl has grown up already, it truly does feel like it is happening in the blink of an eye. I am so proud to say that every day, I see her becoming more and more loving, and caring. We celebrated her day with a small little party in the morning, which worked out well since I was hosting play group anyways (OK, maybe I planned it that way!). Then She had preschool in the afternoon, where they gave her special attention, with a happy birthday crown and let her pick a special prize, she picked a tiara of course. Then when she got home again, we just hung out as a family the four of us. She kept saying, this has been such an amazing day hey mom? I had such a special day. I am the special birthday girl. So I am so glad that even though I felt like we didn't do anything spectacular this year, she still felt it, in our love and attention. We did have a pinata, which was a ton of fun for all the kids, and provided them all with something to take home with them. I am sorry to all the mothers who had children who were all wound up on sugar for the rest of the day! :) Berlyn and Elias on the other hand still have candy here. Its kind of ridiculous.

I have to share my favorite part of the whole day!
 Berlyn noticed Elias was sitting by himself pouting in the corner, so she asked him what was wrong. (I already knew why he was there.) He told her he was sad because he didn't get any presents. So she said "It's OK Elias, you can have one of my presents." and she went over, and picked out one of her unwrapped gifts, having no clue what was in any of them yet, and gave it to him! What a kind hearted thing to do! Elias was so happy after that. So, I told Elias to thank her and give her a hug, which he did, but I also made him wait until it was time to unwrap gifts to open his as well. Otherwise I knew he was just going to keep wanting more presents. He had the toughest time not opening his present, but he managed, and it went well. I was so proud of Berlyn's charity. I told her how proud her Heavenly Father is of her too. She didn't just let him open it for her, she let him keep the gift inside too. (Good thing it didn't turn out to be a barbie!) That is a tough thing for a lot of people to do, not just a child. I love her so much!

Later in the evening I ended up getting a sudden onset severe migraine around 530pm, and I felt horrible, because just as it was coming on, Berlyn said to me "Mommy, lets do something fun together, just you and me for my Birthday!" I felt terrible, because I couldn't even move without vomiting, and here it was her special day, and she wanted me! This is what makes bad memories for kids, when there mommies couldn't be there for them on their big days! So I explained to her about my headache, and asked her what other fun thing she would like to do, anything at all that didn't involve me (sounds so terrible) and I would try to let her do it. So she picked tracing on her new Tinkerbell fashion tracing toy. Then I called her dad over to play with her, so she wouldn't feel left out. I must say, at times like that, I'm really grateful that Shane and I keep an amicable friendship. Berlyn wasn't sad for one moment. I rested for an hour, and then her Dad left, and her and I cooked dinner together in the dark (almost) just the two of us. (The migraine still around, but the nausea was gone.)

All in all I think she did end up having a really special day, and I hope her memories of it, turn out as great as mine were. I am so amazed at her positive and loving attitude,
I was blessed when God gave me her.

No comments: